When discussing the difference between nature and nurture (and the connection between the two), we have to acknowledge the ways in which human beings are hyper-wired for social relationships. This idea really comes to life when we discuss the subject of cults. In this episode, your host Leslie sits down with cult expert and survivor Dr. Janja Lalich to talk about who gets into cults, and how.
Connect With The Contributors:
- Dr. Janja Lalich: http://cultresearch.org/ Twitter = @Janja_Lalich, and Facebook = https://www.facebook.com/Janja-Lalichs-Cults-Extremism-Page-183221905078546/
- Dr Leslie Carr: www.lesliecarr.com and @DrLeslieCarr on Twitter and Instagram
Links From This Episode:
- Some additional information about The Milgram Shock Experiments: https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html#:~:text=Results%3A-,Results%3A,18%20variations%20of%20his%20study.
- Dr. Lalich mentions the NXIVM cult and there are two good documentaries if you haven’t seen them. There’s The Vow on HBO (https://www.hbo.com/the-vow/season-1) and Seduced on Starz (https://www.starz.com/us/en/series/seduced-inside-the-nxivm-cult/59967).
- Dr. Lalich also references the Heaven’s Gate cult and there’s also a very thorough documentary about that on HBO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate:_The_Cult_of_Cults) but (a note from Leslie): This is the stuff of nightmares so watch out if you’re extra-sensitive.
- We also talk about QAnon and HBO did a series about that as well: https://www.hbo.com/q-into-the-storm
- The Cult of Trump by Steven Hassan (for those who are curious): https://www.amazon.com/Cult-Trump-Leading-Explains-President/dp/1982127333
Originally published on Nature of Nurture.